- Mayor & City Council
Mayor & City Council
GovernanceThe City of Post (2010 Population 5723 ) is a Type A General Law city. The City is governed by a city council composed of a Mayor and five Council members. Elections for the Mayor and Council members are held every two years in staggered terms. A general election is held each May for these city officials.
The Mayor is the presiding officer of council and is recognized as head of city government for all legislative and ceremonial purposes. During council meetings, the mayor shall vote only when necessary to break a tie vote. The council elects from among its members a mayor pro tempore who acts as mayor during the absence of the mayor.
Appointment & ResponsibilitiesThe Mayor and five city council members are elected by the citizens of the city. They act together as the Governing Body to formulate public policy to meet community needs. The city council appoints the:
- City Manager
- City Secretary
- City Attorney
- Municipal Court Judge
- Various citizen boards and commissions
Activities & ResponsibilitiesThe Council’s public policy activities include:
- Set policy
- Adopting the City’s annual budget
- Approving purchases and contracts as prescribed by city charter and state law.
- Establishing general objectives
- Reviewing and adopting all ordinances and resolutions
Council MeetingsRegular council meetings are held monthly at City hall located at 105 East Main Street, on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 5:30 p.m. These meetings are open to the public and the public is encouraged to attend. All and citizens that receive water are encouraged to present concerns and comments to the council. City hall hours are from Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Mayor & Council Members
- Marvin Self, Mayor
- Pixie Grisham, Mayor Pro Tem
- Evonne Sapp, Ward 1 Council Member
- Pixie Grisham, Ward 2 Council Member
- Jeff Hood, Ward 3 Council Member
- Diane James, Ward 4 Council Member
- Jimmy Valdez, Ward 5 Council Member
Agendas & MinutesAgendas are available prior to the meetings.
Minutes are available following approval.